Good Nutrition Tips For People Over 50
When it comes to good nutrition for people over the age of 50 there are several points that need to be considered based on their unique needs.
There is no doubt that as we age our body doesn't function as well as it did in years past. Our digestive system can't breakdown and absorb the nutrients from food as it once did, our muscles and joints 'stiffen up', our eyesight isn't quite as sharp as it once was, and there are a few more wrinkles on our skin.
Despite the natural physical decline that results from aging, the 'middle-age spread' that most people experience is not a natural part of the aging process.
It is more the result of lifestyle choices with lack of exercise and poor nutritional habits being the main causes. Despite this, if people are willing to incorporate guidelines for good nutrition and exercise into their lifestyle, age-related weight gain will not occur.
This article outlines the importance of good nutrition for people over 50. The are the principles that you need to use in order to lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life.
If losing weight, looking great, improving your health and boosting your energy are important to you then follow the principles outlined here...
Here are the top 10 good nutritional principles for people over 50:
1. Eat a wide variety of foods every day.Eating a variety of foods every day ensures you get as many nutrients as possible from food. This will help your body function optimally and stay healthy.
2. Consume 5 or 6 small meals a day.Having more frequent meals helps you boost your metabolism, curb your appetite and burn fat faster.
3. Eat more low and medium-density carbohydrates compared to high-density carbohydrates.This will ensure your blood sugar remains stable, which will reduce insulin secretion and fat storage. It will also reduce your overall calorie (energy) intake without reducing nutrient intake. It will also provide your body with an adequate fibre intake, which may help reduce cholesterol levels and risk of colon cancer.
4. Consume small amounts of protein with every meal.Small amounts of protein will provide your body with the building blocks it needs to build body tissue (including muscle, which will boost your metabolism) and support the immune system. It also helps to suppress your appetite, which may assist your weight-loss efforts.
5. Choose the right fats.In order to enhance your health consume an adequate amount of good fats (from fish, fish oil, avocadoes, olive oil, nuts and seeds), a small amount of saturated fat (from red meat, chicken and coconut oil) and try to eliminate trans fats (fried foods, baked goods, processed fats) from your diet.
6. Drink plenty of clean water every day (at least 250mls per 10kgs of bodyweight).Water is essential for optimum body functioning. Consuming an adequate amount each day will not only maintain good health but will also assist weight loss by keeping your body cells well hydrated, which will keep your metabolism elevated.
7. Reduce your alcohol intake.Alcohol stops the fat-burning process in your body and promotes fat storage. If you goal is to lose body fat, try to minimise your intake as much as possible.
8. Reduce your salt intake.Salt may contribute to fluid retention in your body which may cause increased blood pressure. A reduced salt intake may help to avoid this.
9. Consume high calcium foods.In order to maintain strong, healthy bones as you age, a suitable intake of calcium is essential. Foods like, almonds, brazil nuts, cabbage, carrots, egg yolks, sardine, spinach, watercress and dairy foods may be your best options.
10. Use suitable supplements every day.In order to optimise body functioning, prevent nutrient deficiencies and lose weight, supplementation is essential. Consider regularly using the following supplements: a good quality multi-vitamin/ mineral supplement (BCN's Thyron is a good option because it also supports thyroid function), omega-3s (particularly fish oil), antioxidants, glucosamine formulas, psyllium husks and protein powders.
Here are the guidelines for good nutrition for people over 50 years of age. These guidelines are useful for helping them lose weight, increase energy and overall, improve their quality of life.
For more detailed information about guidelines for good nutrition, visit the 'Nutrition Articles' page
Click here to go to the Quick Weight Loss Principles Home Page
from Good Nutrition Tips For People Over 50
Please Add Your Comments Here!
Thank you for taking the time to comment on this article.
Here is the complete list of over 50s articles:Top 7 Natural Anti Ageing Tips!
Good Nutrition Tips For People Over 50
Middle Age Spread
Natural Anti Aging Diet Tips!
Menopause and Weight Gain
How to Lose Weight Post Menopause
Get Your Free Copy
Subscribers to the
[?] Subscribe To This Site
|Copyright© Quick Weight Loss Principles 2009-2015.|